Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Lifting My Life One Rep at a Time

In January of 2014 I was introduced into the “lifting” world. Thanks to a friend’s mom I quickly became hooked and her expectations of me being there every day kept me going to the gym consistently for the first time ever. I never lifted weights before nor did I think I could because of several extensive wrist surgeries. She showed me ways to work around my problem and let me use her wrist guards which thankfully took away most of the pain. Soon enough I was emerged into a new lifestyle and due to getting a new job, I was starting to go diligently 5-6 times a week on my own.

I am writing about this because there’s a misconception with the gym rats of the world, especially those who lift weights. I know this because I too fell to this judgment. When you see someone with a strong physique, what do you see? You see their muscles. You might assume they are self-absorbed, conceited or only care about looks, perhaps even question their intelligence. You may think “it must be nice to have a body like that or it must be nice to have hours to go to the gym.” I have thought some of this in the past and it may hold true for some people but certainly not all.

Now I see determination. I see someone mentally strong.  I see sacrifice and perseverance.

My life has been transformed in the last year and a half. My anxiety levels were at an ultimate high before I started going to the gym. I was in a rough spot in life and I felt like I lost control. In the past I handled similar stresses in a toxic way. This time I decided to go down a different path. It was not driven by a goal weight or any appearance standards. It was a way for me to positively handle the dark times of life.The gym is a place I do not overthink or stress. I have to push myself both physically and mentally. I hadn’t pushed myself at this level since my gymnastics days. I have the power to channel negative thoughts into a hard workout. I adopted more discipline in my life. I'm not going out as much anymore and I am more conscious of healthy eating. Most importantly my anxiety decreased tremendously!

I admit, it is not easy to start this lifestyle and it comes with sacrifice. My wrist issues develop added obstacles to my gym life. I must endure some wrist pain and know when it is time to push harder and when it is time to hold back. It took me some time to love this lifestyle but I am incredibly grateful to have found it and to have discovered a positive outlet to handle anxiety.  I am mentally stronger and I know that the gym is one of the greatest factors for this growth. I am not suggesting that because I am a gym junkie I am better than others but merely sharing my journey to give a different lens on this world. 

Now being a part of the "fit life", I know that there is nothing more irritating than someone who tries to diminish the hard work you commit to. Next time you see someone who is "fit", regardless of their form of exercise, do not mock them, assume their life is easy, or make judgments. Most importantly remember they might be fighting their demons right now. Their gym time might be their way of escaping reality for a few hours a day.  They could be in a dark place or in pain and are handling it through their devotion to the gym. 

Maybe the world of fitness saved their life. It helped save mine.




No comments:

Post a Comment