Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Beware of the iPhone Zombie

Technology now a days is an amazing thing. We have more knowledge than we know what to do with accessible with just a couple clicks. We can stay in touch with distant relatives or friends. We can share thoughts, ideas, and stories.

I find all of this great however as we advance in technology I feel a large lack in personal connections. As we hang out with our friends most of us are on our phones, playing games, texting, scrolling through Instagram, checking our email, or on Facebook posting about how much fun we are having. The problem is we aren't fully in that moment. We have too many distractions now a days between texting and social media sites that our personal relationships are suffering.  I fear that our younger generation will lack some personal skills because of the many other options we have for communication.

Our relationship with ourself is also suffering. Studies show an increase in depression because of social media. We compare our life with what others are posting, compare looks, or are picking up on the overall negative environment. We live in a society where what we eat is snapped or posted on a daily basis. Our personal issues are aired for our 500 closest friends to see. Our intimate relationships suffer because instead of telling our significant other exciting news or calling family we rush to social sites to share it.

Then there is an aspect of Snapchatting, Tinder, and other related sites. Call me old fashioned but I am not a fan of this Tinder, I have to match with you and you match with me stuff. (I'm not even fully sure if that is how the app works.) I also think having conversations via selfie snaps is quite lame.  I miss the times when we weren't surrounded by Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Tinder, when we had to get to know someone by spending time with them not stalking their Facebook page. What about the good days when we couldn't text but had to call our crush terrified that their parent would answer?

Speaking of texting, it can be convenient for a quick message but when we use it to have conversations I feel that we are missing something very important in our personal relationships. Why not call to see how someones day was or wait till you see them next to ask what they've been up to? I don't know about you but I am tired of texting. It can turn into a constant all day thing. When I step back from texting or using my phone, people have asked me "are you ok, you haven't texted in a while." Sometimes they think I am mad at them for not texting them daily or answering back right away. When did we start this sudden need to be in constant contact? I love my friends and family and enjoy staying connected but I also value my own time and want to become more in tuned with the present moment.

Don't get me wrong, I am guilty of using my phone too much. I enjoy sharing photos on the web and hearing about what my family and friends are up to. I like staying in touch with friends that are across the world. That being said my goal is to step back and connect with the real world.  Think about all the time you would have if you spent less time staring at a screen?

Since I am ironically posting this on the web you are likely reading this from Facebook or on your phone. I challenge you to reconnect with the world.  Put the phone down and enjoy the moment you are in with the people around you.



No comments:

Post a Comment